Purushottam Maas, which only comes once every 36 months, is the most powerful spiritual reward-giving month among all others. It is far superior to the pious months of Magh, Vaisakh and Kartik.
How to observe Purushottam Maas (I): 18 Sept – 16 Oct, 2020
Vrindavan, 2020-09-14 (Mahanidhi Madan Gopal Swami):
Introduction to Purushottam Maas
Purushottam month or adhik maas (extra month) is also called mala maas, which means the dirty or useless month. In India, the sadhus, sadhakas and pious people of all sampradayas undertake serious penances (vrats) during Purushottam Month. Now let us examine the name, history, benefits and method of practice of this age old “King of All Vrats” or month long penances.
Why is it called Mal Maas (dirty or useless month)?
This is because all forms of karmic activities i.e. karma-kanda (reward seeking) pujas and yagnas will not produce any results this month. Therefore, it is a useless month. Gaudiya Vaishnavas say the dirt or filth indicated by the word mala refers to the fact that devotional activities performed in this month quickly and easily destroy the mental dirt, filth and contamination caused by sins, ignorance and aparadhas. Thus for Krishna bhaktas this is the most purifying and beneficial month.
Why is it called Adhik Maas (extra month)?
It is called adhik (extra) maas because Shri Krishna has placed not only extra but ALL HIS potencies, mercy and blessings in this month, which supercharges this month beyond all others. Thus a sadhak will receive extra or more results from any religious actions performed.
What makes this month so great?
The Puranas say that Purushottam Month is the favorite month of Bhagavan Shri Krishna. Shri Krishna personally created this month and named it after Himself. Purushottam Maas, which only comes once every 36 months, is the most powerful spiritual reward giving month among all others.
It is far superior to the pious months of Magha, Vaisakha and Karttika. On the earth planet and all over the universe Purushottam Maas is honoured and worshiped by devotees, sages, gods and Laksmi Devi Herself.
Benefits of Purushottam Maas Vrat
Different months of the year have different ishta-devatas, worshipable deities. But for Adhik Maas, Radha-Krishna Yugala are the ishta-devatas. If one sincerely worships Radha and Krishna in this month, he will attain whatever he wants. Observing the Purushottam vrat burns up the reactions of all one’s bad karma and gives the direct service of Radha and Krishna.
Purushottam Maas is the best month to make spiritual advancement because Krishna overlooks all aparadhas. Residence in the holy dham in this month yields 1000 times the benefit of living elsewhere! We invite all the fortunate to quickly book a room in Radha Kunda or Vrindavan to worship Radha-Krishna Yugala in the prema giving holy abode of Shri Vrindavan Dham.
Come and join the thousands of pilgrims doing dandavat parikrama of Giri-Govardhana this month!!!
Giriraj Dharan ki jai! Jai Jai Shri Radhe!
Glories of Purshottam Maas
All quotes are taken from the Padma and Skanda Purana.
1. Bhagavan Shri Krishna: “Purushottam Month has all the power I have to bless its observer. One who follows Purushottam vrat will destroy all his past sinful reactions. Without performing Purushottam vrat, one cannot perform pure devotional service.
The value of Purushottam Maas is far more valuable than all other types of austerities and religious activities mentioned in the Vedas. Anyone who observes Purushottam vrat will return to My abode, Goloka, at the end of his life."
2. Durvasa Muni: “One becomes sinless just by bathing in a holy river during Purushottam Maas. The glory of all other months is not equal to one-sixteenth of the glory of the Purushottam Maas. Bathing in a holy place, giving charity and chanting the Holy Names of Krishna during this month destroys all miseries, awards all kinds of perfection and fulfils all desires."
3. Valmiki Muni: “Observing Purushottam vrat brings more benefit than performing one hundred horse sacrifices. All holy places live within the body of an observer of the Purushottam Vrat. Anyone who faithfully performs Purushottam vrat will go to Goloka Vrindavan".
4. Narada Muni: "Purushottam Maas is the best of all months, vrats and austerities. Just by faithfully hearing the glories of Purushottam Month, one attains Shri Krishna-bhakti and immediately nullifies his sinful reactions. One who performs Purushottam vrat properly will attain unlimited piety and spiritual merit (sukrti) and go to the spiritual world.”
5. Naimisaranya Sages: "Merciful Purushottam Maas acts like a desire tree to fulfil a devotee's desire.”
How to observe Purushottam Maas Vrat
General Points: Observe celibacy and bathe daily before sunrise; chant extra rounds and read Shrimad Bhagavatam daily; give charity.
1. Rise at brahma-muhurta (1½ hours before sunrise), and jump out of bed chanting “Jaya Radhe!”
2. Chant Hare Krishna Mahamantra and meditate on Radha-Krishna's beautiful divine forms, qualities, and ecstatically purifying and heart stirring transcendental pastimes in Shri Dham Vrindavan. Daily chant fixed number extra rounds for entire month: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 32, 64, 108, 192 (always multiples of four rounds).
3. Observe the Vrat in Vrindavan, Navadvipa or any holy Dham to experience the maximum benefits and bliss.
4. Daily offer full puja or at least a ghee lamp to Radha-Krishna Deities or picture. Offer a row of 33 individual clay ghee lamps daily on at least for one auspicious day this month e.g. (ekadasi, sankranti, purnima ).
5. Daily Tulasi Devi aratika and parikrama.
6. Daily Thakuraji Mandir parikrama (4 times).
7. Daily offer roses, lotus, and tulasi manjaris and 100,000 Tulasi leaves (or as many as you can) to Radha-Krishna Deities or photos and paintings.
8. Daily read Shrimad Bhagavatam.
9. Hear Radha-Krishna Katha from advanced Gaudiya Vaishnavas.
10. Daily chant Shri Jagannath Ashtakam (because this vrat is named after and often performed in Purushottm Kshetra, Jagannath Puri Dham. Also chant ashtakams, prayers and bhajans glorfying Radha-KrishnaYugala.
11. Take a vow to remain peaceful and 100% truthful throughout the month.
12. Be careful not to blaspheme any devotees, brahmanas, saints, cows, sastras or especially anyone observing the Purushottam Month Vrat.
13. Don’t ask anyone for anything; be satisfied with whatever you have, and don’t endeavor to acquire any material thing during this month.
14. Try your best to please Radha and Krishna by performing devotional austerities according to your abilities. Don’t break your vow in the middle of the month. Be determined, pray intently for mercy and tolerate your crazy monkey mind. Take a vow, at least for this month, to remain deaf to your mind.
15. Eat on leaf plates sitting on the floor (optional).
16. No cutting of hair or nails (optional).
17. No cooking in oil or rubbing oil on your body.
18. Don’t eat mustard oil nor rub on the body.
Diets: Be your own guide and choose an eating program that is realistic within your means. The main vrat and austerity is to everyday Krishna consciously associate with serious devotees in Vrindavan who are glorifying Radha-Krishna.
Eat once a day: (if you can) after sunset or at noon the following diets:
i) only milk; ii) only fruits (no milk, no veg.); iii) no grains (selected veg., fruits, nuts, milk); iv) selected foods (all categories as per Chaturmasya standards).
A nice humility vrat: Daily offer 33 dandavats to Bhagavan Shri Krishna and/or the Vaishnavas.