Shrila Bhaktivonoda Thakur’s Purushottam Maas Vrat
How to observe Purushottam Maas (II): 18 Sept – 16 Oct, 2020
2020-09-14 (Mahanidhi Madan Gopal Swami): Continued from Part - I
Part-II: Shrila Bhaktivonoda Thakura’s Purushottam Maas Vrat
Observe 30 days of concentrated, one–pointed worship and service to Radha-Govinda Yugala by hearing, chanting, remembering Their divine names, forms, qualities, pastimes, and honor Shri Krishna’s Mahaprasada.
Best days to give charity to devotee Brahmanas
Ekadasi, Dvadasi, Purnima, Amavasya, Sravana Naksatra: Do offer money, gold, cloth, shoes, fruits, etc. Also offer 33 plantains or mangoes plus daan-dakshina to Brahmanas and Vaishnavas.
Very Important Point: When you give daan (i.e. different items like cloth, land, gold, cows, books, sweets, flowers, clothing, shoes, umbrellas) to a brahmana, one must simultaneously donate dakshina (i.e. money equal to the monetary value of the daan). For example, if give a 300 rupees pair of new shoes, then must give 300 rupees in laksmi or money to that same person.
Breaking the Purushottam Vrat
1. Day and Time: consult local calendar.
2. Bathe in brahma-muhurta time
3. Perform Deity Worship: Radha-Syamasundara Deities, personal Deities or Picture.
4. Chant this mantra: "O Supreme Lord, O Sanatana, O Purushottam, O Lord Hari! I offer my obeisances unto you. May you and your beloved Radhika, please accept my offerings. I offer my repeated obeisances unto Syamasundara, who wears effulgent yellow garments on His beautiful body.
5. Offer pushpanjali (handfuls of fresh fragrant flowers or petals) and then dandavats to your personal Deities or Deity Picture.
6. Feed and give charity to 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 brahmanas/ Vaishnavas to the best of your ability (e.g., new clothes, two pairs of shoes, umbrella, ghee, yogurt, gamcha, sweets, lotas, plates. Also donate money equal to cost of given item.
According to Puranas, the best charity is to give a Shrimad Bhagavatam to a qualified grhastha vaisnava brahmana. This act will deliver all your ancestors to the spiritual world and award them the association of Lord Purushottam!
Specific vrat breaking actions
1. If you ate fruits, ghee, rice, wheat etc., donate the same to brahmanas.
2. If you slept on the floor, give a bed and pillows to a brahmana.
3. If you ate on a leaf plate, feed brahmanas with ghee and sugar.
4. If you didn’t cut nails or hair, donate a mirror to a brahmana.
5. If you offered ghee lamps, give new lamps and pots to a brahmana
***If you broke any rules or regulations during Purushottam vrat, feed different sweet juices to brahmanas.
***Mahadev Lord Siva says that the best charity is to: "Fill a bell metal pot with thirty malpuas (a pancake like sweet), bind the pot with seven new threads and give to a worthy brahmana."
Comment: Many humble niskincana Vaishnavas have no money or sufficient wealth to donate substantially to brahmanas. But according to your means, donate some Lakshmi or a new object to a qualified person, begging for his mercy and blessings. And in your mind, (manasi-seva), you can sincerely donate generously to many good devotees.
Remember that shastras say, bhava grahi janardana - Bhagavan Shri Krishna is pleased with the purity and sincerity of one’s attitude, mood of love and purity of purpose. Try your best to break your vow by donating something within your means.
May Giridhari Syama bless you all with full success in your Purushottam Month Vrat, being performed solely for the divine pleasure of Shri Guru, Gauranga and Shri Shri Radha and Krishna.
Purushottam Maas Vrat ki Jai! Jai Jai Shri Radhe